Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Green Tea and Working Memory

I was told before I came to college that I would start drinking coffee and lots of it to get through my day. Surprisingly, I am not addicted to coffee after three years of being in college, but I do have a habit of drinking tea almost every day. While green tea is not my favorite (I prefer black tea or the occasional chai to get me through my day), I was immediately intrigued by this study. If there is some sort of health benefit to my tea drinking habit, then that is good news. Even if it means that I need to start enjoying the occasional cup of green tea.

Researchers at the University of Basel in Switzerland have found that green tea extract can enhance working memory. Their findings published in the journal, Psychopharmacology, are based off of an experiment in where male volunteers drank soda with several grams of green tea extract mixed in. Then they participated in a few working memory tasks and an MRI scan. Researchers found that there was increased connectivity between the parietal and frontal lobe. We all know that the frontal lobe is the part of the brain that controls our executive functions and decision-making tasks while the parietal lobe is involved in processing sensory information such as touch and directing our movements. The article stated that findings may suggest that green tea extract may enhance short term synaptic plasticity as well, the ability of synapses to change over time and become stronger or weaker depending on their activity.

It may seem like a small finding, but if further research is conducted this could mean that green tea could play a role in treating neuropsychiatric disorders like dementia. While I think this study is interesting, I want to know why female volunteers were not used in the study. And if they were, would the results be different based on gender? I am also skeptical on how a few grams of green tea extract could have this effect on people so I am interested to see if any research is conducted to try and understand the neural mechanism behind this finding. While the study claimed green tea extract increases connectivity between the frontal and parietal lobes, it did not explain the neural mechanism behind the results.




http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140407101545.htm


1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily! Your post immediately caught my eye because I love green tea! I usually drink it at night before I go to sleep, however, the study you are talking about is making me think I should try it while I'm studying or in class. Also, I definitely agree with the questions you posed because I would love to have a better understanding of how they think the tea helps with memory. I am also curious to see if green could help those with other diseases or even memory loss.

    ReplyDelete